The Garden State Council (GSC) SHRM Workforce Readiness team is committed to establishing strategic alliances with organizations and causes throughout the state that are dedicated to making a positive impact in all areas of workforce readiness. It is our goal to be recognized by businesses, education institutions, and government bodies, as partners, collaborators, advocates and leaders in this field as well. Collectively, we will create a MOVEMENT and our efforts WILL make a difference!
According to the NJ Department of Labor, there a number of pressing issues facing today’s workforce in our state. Of those, three are being strategically supported by GSC SHRM including:
- Long Term Unemployment of People Over Age 45
- Veterans In Transition
- Youth Workforce Readiness
- Lack of Skilled Laborer’s in Manufacturing
Issue: Long Term Unemployment of People Over Age 45
The New Start Career Network, a multi-year effort involving employers, nonprofit organizations and the government to help job seekers. Individuals who meet the program's criteria – 45 years of age or older and out of work for six months or longer – receive a host of essential services free of charge, thanks to the generosity of such partners as New Jersey Resources, The Fund for New Jersey, the Direct Employers Association, UPS and IBM.
- As a chapter, we will provide advocacy and create awareness by socializing the need for the work and efforts of NSCN through social media and other forms of communication.
- Increase the number of Mentor Coaches that participate in the NSCN Mentor Coach program through our HR professionals / SHRM members.
Issue: Veterans In Transition
Boots Up is a non-profit dedicated to fixing the divide that exists in our nation between transitioning Veterans and the companies, educational institutions, and people who want to help them succeed. We envision our nation working together to repay those who have sacrificed and served with support through any means necessary or needed, tailored to the individual Veteran.
The Council is teaming up with Boots Up to support Vets in a variety of ways including:
HR Recruiter Development
- Develop and deliver professional development webinars to help prepare HR Recruiters to better assist Vets In Transition with resume, interview and networking skills.
Vets In Transition Professional Development
- Develop and deliver professional development programs for Vets In Transition to assist them in their transition to civilian life. May be delivered by both HR professionals as well as former Vets that have transitioned successfully.
Vets Mentoring Vets
- Identify HR professionals that may be former Vets that successfully transitioned to civilian life to mentor vets that are currently in transition.
- Partnering with Dress for Success for women to create one for men.
Issue: Youth Career Readiness - All Stars Project of Newark
The All Stars Project of Newark provides a leadership-training program for young people between the ages of 16 and 21 that focuses on development. Every year nearly 300 students, recruited from more than 60 high schools across New York City, Newark, Chicago and the San Francisco Bay Area are accepted into the Development School's program on the basis of their desire to be leaders. The program partners with corporate professionals and over 100 major corporations in NY and NJ to provide training experiences for the students and summer internships for the DSY graduates.
Teaming up with Carlos Javier and Kathleen Fleiss to accomplish the following:
- Boost awareness of the need for youth development coaches who can periodically assist with resume reviews, interview skill development, etc.
- Create awareness of the need for internships for youth in the program through our chapter's HR professionals and/or business owners.
Issue: Lack of Skilled Laborer’s in Manufacturing